Friday Flash Fiction #5

Happy Friday! What with only two more Fridays to go till Christmas and in the spirit of the season...no one dies. (No supernatural creatures were killed, maimed or sent fleeing for their lives in this flash fiction offering....)
ANGEL

I thought I found the angel. Finders keepers, I told my friends. He wasn’t alive, but he wasn’t dead either. The skin was warm and the eyes followed every move. He didn’t have a pulse or breath, but I didn’t have to carry him home. He walked beside me. 

The angel always watches, never speaks. His lips are soft and fierce. The silence between us is golden.  Each kiss a little more of me belongs to him.

Tonight he rises from the bed, drawing me into his embrace. Stretching his wings around me, he whispers in my ear. “Finders keepers.”
100 words
©Quinn Smythwood 2011


100 words. Is it a story? You decide. Is there a mythic being/beastie you would like to see tackled in these Friday Flash Fiction pieces? I’d love to hear about your favourites and maybe you’ll see them in a 100 word flash soon! If you've written a Friday Flash Fiction piece why not let me know about it in the comments? I'd love to read your offering.

8 comments:

John Xero said...

I have a fascination with Angels, and particularly non-traditional variations on the theme. I adore this, a wonderful little piece of wordsmithery, and nice play with the circular repetition of 'finders keepers', too. =)

John Wiswell said...

From the image you can tell this is going to be a fallen angel. Would be funny if a proper angel showed up next week to deliver the narrator from possession. No one died, but someone got damned? A rough deal in one hundred words!

Larry Kollar said...

Who found whom, then? Nice job of closing the circle.

Helen A. Howell said...

Oh this was delicious, dark and wicked. ^__^

and yes 100 words is a story often known as a Drabble.

Craig Smith said...

"His lips are soft and fierce."

This was the line where I think the angel started to turn things around.

I would like to see your take on a harpy...

Unknown said...

A beautiful take on angels. This is quite a story with a beginning, middle, and end. It also pairs nicely with FAR's shinies.

Peter Newman said...

I love angels. Especially twisted ones.

You pack a lot into 100 words too. Very nice.

I'd like to see your take on something like a domestic cat.

Quinn Smythwood said...

Thanks for all the great comments.

@Peter Newman - a domestic cat; I guess they were once worshipped by the Egyptians and thus qualify for some mythic status.

@Craig Smith - there's certainly not enough harpy in flash fiction!

Post a Comment

©Quinn Smythwood. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free Reads

Free Reads
Featuring my contribution: Night Job

Twitter