Friday Flash Fiction #8

So I've spent the first two weeks of 2012 very busily not doing much at all and chiding myself for not putting up my first new year contribution to Friday Flash Fiction. Oh! Belately, happy New Year everyone! I hope 2012 has loads of good stuff in store for you and sends you lots of good friends and supporting family for any of the not so good stuff.

Now, without further delay, let's get onto to the flash fiction. Today's offering has a moral in the tale; ego boosts to everyone who spots it (and the fairytale from which it twistedly derives). 


BEAUTY

Again, I couldn’t breathe. The air thick with beauty. The taste of his kiss lingering on my lips like frostbite. Did I want another?

His bright and intent eyes saw past my twisted countenance. He had not turned from me in terror the first night or any other. His touch, my first caress, had chilled me. The light in his perfect beauty was stark against my dark grotesquery. First I imagined he saw deeper. Now as he leans in for a final cold kiss I finally see him for what he is. The monster that takes my last breath away. 
100 words
©Quinn Smythwood 2011


100 words (Drabble). Is it a story? You decide. Is there a mythic being/beastie you would like to see tackled in these Friday Flash Fiction pieces? I’d love to hear about your favourites and maybe you’ll see them in a 100 word flash soon! If you've written a Friday Flash Fiction piece why not let me know about it in the comments? I'd love to read your offering.

3 comments:

Peter Newman said...

I like the line "Again, I couldn't breathe. The air thick with beauty". It immediately drew me in.

At the risk of sounding dense, what's the nature of the narrator's "dark grotesquery"?

Tim VanSant Writes said...

A twisted Beauty and the Beast? Chilling interpretation.

Sonia Lal said...

I love that picture! And your interpretation of it - lovely! And chilly.

Post a Comment

©Quinn Smythwood. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free Reads

Free Reads
Featuring my contribution: Night Job

Twitter